Monday, April 13, 2015

Saada HAQ....

    Sitting thousand miles away from her husband, every single day she gets excited when it’s time to take evening cab. She reaches her room and the first thing that she does is to anxiously wait for their time zones to sync up to make a Skype call. Kind of like a ritual every single day. She shares her day with him and listens to his day at work. Then they shop together at UrbanLadder and decide on home décor, make travel plans at Makemytrip, dedicate each other songs and videos on youtubeJ. One Whatsapp message lets her know that he has reached safe to office, had his lunch on time. Every day she sends pictures to her dad on Whatsapp, showing all the places she has been to. One daily mail from her dad keeps her going. One flip back at the old Facebook album, helps her cherish all good old college days and brings her close to her friends.

    Somehow she had forgotten the pain of staying far away from near and dear ones. But you, Mr. Telecom Operator. You had to rip open her wounds, don’t you?


This story is not only the mirror reflection of me, but of thousand others as well. So Mr.Telecom Operator, let me make one thing clear. You want me to pay separately for each service that I want to use? You mean to say that if I want to cook something new in my kitchen, I need to pay you extra to be able to watch a Sanjeev kapoor recipe video? You want me to pay more if instead of naukri I want to upload my resume on monster.com? Does this move make any sense to you TRAI? Letting Telecom giants like Airtel or Vodafone to block access to sites and apps is like taking away our freedom to choose. It will be like going to a restaurant, paying money for the buffet but being forced to eat what the waiter GIVES you, not what YOU want. I mean, I should get to eat my buffet the way I want to. I have every right to skip the main course and hog on starters and desserts. I mean its My money, My buffet, My choice. (Ghosh Deepika effect is dictating my post… J) But if you let Telecom Operators to control WHAT I access, HOW MUCH I access, HOW FAST I can access, HOW much I PAY to access then aren’t you taking away my freedom?

    We are the residents of a free country where we have been bestowed with equal rights by our constitution. For the last couple of decades, the internet was free… unchained…accessible to all,  just like the air we breathe. But you are planning to give prime access only to those who can warm your pockets. So I guess a common man can no longer afford to send a friend request or share his trip pictures on instagram. We all will be all forced to shop on Flipkart even though Amazon will be selling stuff 50% cheaper. The Reason – My friend, to access Amazon site you need to pay more… J. Simple as that. But the real question is “Why my choices should be dictated by service providers?” The telecom operators have already killed VAS based companies by charging humungous amount of taxes, and now they are on a new round of killing spree. But this time it’s the common man who is going to be the target, the common man’s right to have free access to internet. They are trying to dissemble us by their propaganda of Internet for All. But we are not naïve. We have had enough with this reservation fiasco. It has already eroded our education system. Don’t let it infect our internet. So wake up TRAI, the uncouth move by these operators will bring in nothing but anarchy and chaos and inequality. So you need to act, you need to act like a regulating authority. You need to listen to the plight of “THE COMMON MAN”. Please, I had enough of restricted internet (fame cyber-roam) in my college days… Let me breathe now, let me spread my wings. Coz this time I know, no proxy server can come to my rescue.

P.S. To conflate it up - It’s now or never. Being an internet user it’s your duty to join the rally and take control of this imbroglio. Voice your right to a free and unchained internet usage. Log in to : http://www.savetheinternet.in/  Send the answers (Already answered) to TRAI via email, and voice your opinion.
Share this post with #SaveTheInternet.
Watch video by #AIB to understand about net neutrality in detail:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfY1NKrzqi0


Think about IIN students…. How will they study without net neutrality?….. :P Gosh I am in a mood for jokes I guess.
Prateek said...

Very true Didi. Really nice post.

Unknown said...

Very true. A very interesting synonyms is - The electricity board crying, about people using CFL bulbs,instead of regular ones.

Unknown said...

@reema APA.... Very true... :)

Unknown said...

Attagirl!! Great blog again Nicks. Loved it. I too am disappointed by the move. No one should be given power to choose what is best for us. We can decide which sites we want to browse.
Airtel you did it again.Wasn't the idea crazy enough to cost extra for voice calls via internet?.


Maybe they should launch a new scheme which will logs a user out from his/her device from internet if no activity was done for an hour(or a timer). Imagine a situation in which they will ask us to pay the penalty for the same. Must be hilarious when such thing comes out.


Going on this trend the day isn't far when operator will charge us on calling a particular number or maybe even worse situation in which on dialling a particular number it will take more time for the call to connect. Or In other words to connect a call faster, some special terrif will be put into the picture.

Talking about the same thing, maybe Google also start following the same shoes and charge us Rs1/day if we want to use Google maps. Google will also raise a humongous capital by this. Would we be able to go somewhere else for maps (Don't even start thinking about apple maps. The discussion will be gone is some other context then)? I don't think we would be left out with a choice but to comply.

Here we have a chance to fight back. So pull up your socks folks and post your opinion at http://www.savetheinternet.in/

I think we should also start a party called AIP(Aam Internet Party) and fight for the same.

Unknown said...

@Deepak........ I totally agree to you viewpoint. They are all just trying to mint money. But they are forgetting that they are service providers and we are service users and not some money vending machine. Imagine what will happen if gmail starts charging for accessing emails... WHOA damn scary....

Sashwat Pradhan said...

I totally agree to your view point. And now as of result of this mass awareness and support to #savetheinternet, flipkart has backed out from Airtel Zero plan. The sincere effort of netizens has paid off.

Start typing and press Enter to search