Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A journey that started with a converse and ......

Have you been on a trip that comes with a statutory warning. Well I did. After all weekends are meant to be fun. So why not explore. Well literally you can't call it a trip. It was just a day-cation with a visit to Sarojini market. A sojourn that started from MG Road. MG Road to INA to Sarojini to INA to MG Road. (See I made a palindrome out there). But boy oh boy that was indeed a nerve wrecking experience for me.
It was my first metro ride. Yeah, yeah laugh as much as you can and think - “What did she do in all these five months at NCR?” Coz you don't have super sweet relatives like mine (No sarcasm here... maybe a tinge of it). THEY will call you and keep on calling you to make you remind it’s Friday and you gotta come by. Make any lame excuse but THEY will be ready with a contingency plan to sort it out and pick you up. And even if u don't pick up the phone and smile, with tiny butterflies flapping inside your heart making merry wishes and limning a fun weekend with friends, then a word of caution here my friend coz your dream will be snapped neatly into two by a single phone call. Yeah my friend THEY do have phone numbers of my room-mates.

But somehow this week I earned my freedom. A hard earned freedom, at the cost of twenty lies minimum! But don't you judge me as if you never have done so yourself. (Well if you haven't then give a try. Worth the shot). There it was, my new blue metro pass, smiling at me, ready to take me anywhere I wanted to. I reciprocated too, with a curve on my lips and a sense of pride in my heart coz that little blue card was an invitation to be a part of the crowd. THE CROWD
that calls itself – Metro-ers (would be stupid of you, if you are going to Google it up). As the chugging mass neared up, the smile on my face started to become more and more elliptical. I stood happily near the pink notation - “Women only”. Am I sounding too chirpy here? Never mind. Imagine your first roller-coaster ride and you couldn't contain your happiness. Don't ask me how I know that. Your uncontained happiness was gushing out of your two broken front milk-teeth! Just relate to it and be glad coz my happiness was short lived as I had no idea of what that little jaunt of mine was going to turn into.

Girls Girls and Girls.... tall girls, short girls, fat girls, stout girls. God they were everywhere. I was in women only boogie. What was I expecting? Well I expected their existence but not an aversion. Those shades, stilettoes, piercings, short skirts and tank tops, nail paints, tattoos and hell yeah the clutches and bohemian bags... spoke blatantly, just like a sergeant scouting out attention from his fellowmen. The "LOOK AT ME" call was so loud that I could hear it even with my earphones on. But the question is why was I filled with a sense of repugnance?

I always had visions for me since I was a kid, albeit those visions were like alphabets written with chalk on a board, rubbed written and re-written. I guess it was this tendency of mine "to be a wannabe" that forced me to think out of the right track. I have always been the daughter that every parent would desire (well sans the adamancy, non-stop jibber jabber, tantrums and... gosh the list isn’t stopping). But now when I want to be a girl, that everyone admires, seems to be like a herculean task to me. But with a calm mind when I reflect again, I guess that’s not what I "wanna - be" and it was stupid of me to let myself get carried away by those devious appearances. Here I am, happy to run, hop and jump with my converses and play my guitar all day long without those manicures. And when I love myself so much then in no way I am gonna hurt myself with those piercings and metals. I have always been a free bird and will always be one. So I am not gonna paint myself up with some funny ink or straighten my locks. At least they remind me that yeah life is messy but I gotta deal with it. They remind me of the fact that just like bad hair days, bad phases in life will come and go. So here I come in a whole new avatar - which is completely "ME".

and yeah the journey ended in converses only...... :)
P.S. Over and above one straight and simple lesson. Do visit Sarojini. With its prices it can put Westside and Madame to shame. Make your fast-track bags go and rest in a room-corner. So do shop (but at your own risk...... :)) CHEERS
Shweta said...

dats d spirit...be urself.. n u'll win d world :)

Spriha said...

Niharika bas likhti hi ho .. ya implement bhi karti ho ... :P

But gotta say one thing I truely admire the "Metro-er Gals" who wear no revealing dresses/eye catchy accessories.... yet manage to attract us with their own brand of elegance and style!!!..... now dont you dare question my orientation!!!

by the love ur blogs :)

sridhar said...

1 Question, that aroused at the beginning, kept poking my brain as I read your post:-
A real serious question as pointed by you only “What did u do in all these five months at NCR?"... Well u should start telling more lies from now on-wards and steal ur freedom :P
Sarojini is calling you... It wants you and your money both :)
Trust me, there is a lot of fun being part of the crowd...

Unknown said...

@Shweta ........ thanks roomie :P

@Spriha ........ ab implementation kitna tuff hai u knw that. Bt i wud do like to dare though..... :P

@Sridhar ....... Can't help it. This weekend my uncle is gonna come to pick me up at any cost.... :(

sridhar said...

In that case best option... Run away :P

Priyam said...

Absolutely & amazingly well-written and so true.
Way to go,niharika...:)

Unknown said...

@Sridhar........ what a genius you are in giving sugessions... :P

@Priyam....... TY.. :)

Devi said...

Odia Bloggers Community.
Meet bloggers from ace to Face.
http://OdiaBloggers.com/
Share your thoughts.

B. Kamna Will said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B. Kamna Will said...

ahh.. fun piece after long... good to see you in action ... :)

Unknown said...

@Kamna...... thankz mate.... :) yeah actually a fun piece after long... :P

Start typing and press Enter to search